Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Solomon Freer of Caldwell County Kentucky

I started typing this one and his story just went on and on and on and on..... BUT what an interesting story he told.

Solomon Freer of Caldwell County Kentucky

Notes on pg 1 – cover page of Revolutionary War Pension file:
Born on St John Island
Wife: Elizabeth
Number W.8826
BL Wt.31.426-160-55

Solomon Freer of Caldwell County Kentucky was a ?? in the company commanded by Captain Youngblood in the South Carolina line for 3 years ..? of Cavalry
Inscribed on the roll of Kentucky at the rate of 100 Dollars per annum to commence on the 4th day of March 1834.
Certificate of Pension issued the 22 day of August 1833.

Elizabeth Freer widow of Solomon who served in the Revolutionary war, as a Dragon.
Inscribed on the Roll at the rate of 100 Dollars per annum, to commence on the 4th day of March, 1848.
Certificate of Pension issued the 13 day of June 1849 and sent to J H Rhorer, Louisville, KY
Recorded on Roll of Pensioners under act February 2, 1848, Page 233 Vol 3.

Elizabeth Freer widow of Solomon Freer Priv. Capt Lamberts
Marcus M Tyler,Eddyville, KY

[bible or journal pages]
James Freer was born ..
James L? Freer was born October 24
Pamelia Williams was born February 16, 1797
William Freer and Pamelia Williams was married Aprill [sic] 31 [sic], 1816
Lewis W Holmes was born Febr 14, 1793?
Mary Thompson Holmes his wife was born October the ?? day 1793
Daniel Freer born January 19 ???
Lewis H ?? Mary was married March the 24 day 1814??

Darkes McDonnel
Freer departed this life Nov 4? 1814 aged two years
January 25, 1769??
[unreadable…] Elizabeth Thompson [unreadable….] 63 years [unreadable]

20 May 1833 Caldwell County Kentucky Court
Appearing before: Wm Lander, John W Marshall, M Lyon, Jas A Cartwright, Stephen Groves
Was: Solomon Freer, resident of Caldwell County KY, aged sixty nine years.

Entered service as follows: Volunteered February 1781 as a private and joined a company of light horses under the command of Captain Peter Youngblood and Lieutenant Isaac Youngblood then stationed at the Round O Parish near Jackson Ford on North Edislo? River in the State of South Carolina; which company consisted generally of 174 men and was under the command of Gen. Marion and was a volunteer company of light horses. I entered this service for no definite time but circumstances had rendered it necessary for me to leave my father’s house (in St John’s Island near Charleston) and although then quite young it was by his advice and consent had entered the service and with his aid I was enabled to equip myself for the service. I will mention some of the circumstances, alluded to: I had an uncle, who was a Captain in the Brittish [sic] service at the time, stationed on the Island and my father was consumed?/confused? By indesperation? And had been for a long time. My uncle had made many attempts to persuade him to join the Royal cause but he constantly refused. Though he was not able himself to enter the service of his country he was anxious for its success. Finally he was told that if he held out beyond a given time he would be killed, and his property taken. My father had but little ?? for himself, but feared that I might be prevailed on join the enemy, or forced to enter their service as I was then young, and even if the enemy spared him his disease would soon carry him off, and I would be left my own counseller [sic]. Under then circumstances it was concluded between us that I should immediately enter into the service of my country and accordingly he fitted me out and I proceeded to join Captain Youngblood as before stated. It may not be out place to mention, that the enemy fulfilled his threats against my father and he was murdered by them in a few days after my departure, and all his property destroyed except a negro man who accompanied me to where I joined the service and a little girl who escaped by some means or other. Froom the circumstance of my father’s death and my recollection that when I departed from home it was the commencement of ?? for planting has brought to my mind the month in which I entered the service. Shortly after entering the service, an American vessel called Rattle Snake, loaded with ammunition and stores for the American army come up Stone river and grounded at Stone Ferry. The Brittish [sic] being then on the Island attempted to board her and to prevent this Marion ordered a redout? To be raised, but those on board finding it impossible to defend the vessel, put a slow match to the magazine and escaped to the opposite shore. A part of the enemy soon entered and were destroyed for the vessel directly blew up. Before the explosion an engagement was kept up across the river, but the number killed is not now remembered by me. The explosion caused the enemy to retreat to the Island. Major Latson commanded us on this occasion or the superior officer. Marion being at the Horse Shue? Higher up the country; but the whole was by his orders. Sometime after this transaction, the Brittish General Patterson (as well as I remember his name) attempted to march his forces from Savannah to Charleston and Marion getting intelligence of the movement, detached about 300 men under the same Maj. Latson to intercept him at Salt Kitchen? River. The company to which I belonged was a part of this detachment. The expedition was most skillfully planned but its execution was most shameful: The enemy lay on the opposite side of the river, the owner of the ferry was a tory named Patterson and had buried a barrel of rum in the road for his friend the Brittish General, on the American side . A negro man belonging to the tory, being perhaps a better friend to us than his master gave notice that rum was deposited in the road and pointed it out. The soldiers drank without restraint, and became quite ungoremable?; in this situation the enemy came upon us suddenly with drawn swords and bayonets and charged before a line could be formed. The confusion was increased by the counter orders of the officers. – The major ordered a retreat, while the captains ordered a line to be formed. Our loss was 29 killed and a good many wounded. The detachment dispersed and collected again as soon as possible at the horse-shoe where Marion was encamped. Here we remained some time watching the enemy’s movements with a hope to gain some advantage and retrieve? Our recent losses and – discrace at Salt Kitchen River.
It was not long before the enemy recommenced their march and Marion now determined upon his measures(?). By a swift and secret march he reached North Ederto? Swamp near Parker’s ferry through which the enemy had to pass. Here he formed an ambush and placed his men in order of battle, and gave strict orders of secrecy and as soon as the enemy approached the left were ordered to fire first and then the right after which the left should fall back and form a line below the right and continue the fire – the horse (my company) were ordered to charge back and forward as ??sioned required. Thus was this battle planed [sic] and it was punctually obeyed. The enemy’s loss was considerable – ours very trifling. From the situation of the ground Patterson could not form before passing through the swamp. On reaching the other side he formed in line of battle, but Marion chose to keephis position with the advantage he had gained after this engagement, Youngbloods light horse were detached in search of one McGirt a celebrated tory who had done much injury down towards Georgia, but we could never take him as he was uncommonly active and vigilant. Every possible exertion was used to su?? his ??ges and to take him, but all that could be done was to check? Him. While detached from the main force under Marion we received intelligence of a body of Tories under one Clayton collected at a house not far distant from where we then were. This Clayton had been raised from a boy by my captain Youngblood as soon as arrived at age he joined the Tories and became one of the most cruel and unrelenting scurges? Ever known. It was the anxious wish of the captain to take him alive if possible. Now was thought a good opportunity to accomplish the object. Accordingly our company was divided into three divisions, which were ordered approach at the same time and surround the house. These orders were strictly executed and we came upon the tories before they had any knowledge of our approach. A charge was ordered and the tories instantly fled with precipitation, leaving 9 dead on the ground. Clayton was not killed in the charge, but fled with the rest. He was on a fine nag, got from the Brittish [sic] at Savannah as was said, and we scarely [sic] hoped to overtake him, but Lt Youngblood ?? ?? being on the fleetest horse in the company, pursued him until fortune came to rec??d, and we came up to him. He had stuck fast in a moras froom which he could not extricate himself. We now awaited until the captain came up, who accosted him, but Clayton remained stubbornly silent, nor could be be induced to speak a word, but desperation and defiance seemed dep??ed in his countenance. While in this situation he began to load his gun and the Capt told him not do so. ?? he should be obliged to order his mean to fire on him, but this made no impression on him and the capt ordered a fire upon which Clayton fell back and seemed expiring; one of the soldiers approached to drag him from the mud and in the last agonies of death, Clayton raised his sword and slightly wounded the soldier. I mention this move particularly, because it made a lasting impression on my mind. I witnessed many affecting scenes in my service, but this was more dreadful than them all. During the year 1782 it was generally a partisan warfare in the South and particularly so with us and then under Gen Marion for after the fall of Cornwallis at York in October 1781, the Brittish began gradually to draw in their posts and concentrate at Charleston, which they finally evacuated in December 1782as well as I remember. Though during the most part of 1782 no very active operations were carried on between the Brittish and American armies yet the Tories kept up during all that year a constant and virulent hostility; and it was principally against them that our services were required and during this year we were employed almost entirely against them, ranging from one fron to another over almost the whole state. It would be impossible to relate all the car?? ?? that happened – the various skirmishes we had and to describe particularly the country through we marched for sometimes we had to march with great haste through the whole night. In the month of March 1782, while at the round? O? Marion ordered Capt Youngblood with his light horse to proceed high up the Big Peedee where nearly all were tories, and order the wives of the Tories to leave that country and go to their husbands who were then embodied near Charleston by the 1st of June following the reason of this order was that these women were constantly engaged in driving stock to the Brittish army in Charleston and the pratice could not be allowed. We executed these orders but they were not strictly obeyed for after the first of June some still remained and Marion again ordered our company to return and destroy what grain could be found and to do whatever was necessary to force them away and to quit supplying the enemy. These orders likewise executed and this put a stop to them. As soon as we returned to Marion (then near athe High Hills of Saules, he gave us orders to pursue a party of tories under one of the McGirts who had in our absence slipped into the settlements and killed an old gentleman named Sheesboro, whose son belonged to my company; and had committed other depredations. Altho our horses were fatigued yet we immediately commenced the pursuit and on the second day stopped to forage for a few minutes; In a long burch knowl while here a party of Brittish dragoon came in sight and formed in about 150 yards of us. These dragoons were a detachment from Tarltons legion and were in pursuit of us having learned our object from the tories. We mounted as soon as possible and formed and met the enemy charge, but in wheeling our lines were broken and we were obliged to fly. This conflict was near the Savannah river and near the three runs of Savannah Swamp. In escaping I was pursued (with my lieutenant) by several dragoons a considerable distance and I should have been killed, if my Lt had not saved me by shooting over his shoulder and killed the dragoon who was there almost in striking distance. We instantly reined up and turned against two who were pursuing us. They saw the Draggoon fall and turned & fled themselves. I caught the horse of the dragoon killed, which was the only compensation I ever received for my services; and I would not perhaps have got him but that my own was too much even for service. This was sometime between the middle and last of June of the year . Marion had now again moved towards the Round? O – we returned first to the Horse Shoe for the purpose of protecting that neighborhood if necessary, it being a good settlement of whigs. We found all quiet there and we proceeded to join Marion at the Round? O. In a day or two after joining him we were again attached down to what was called Wappoo Cut or Wappoo neck between Edisto and Ashley Rivers to watch the movement of the Brittish then on James Island (or apart of ??) and to bring him intelligence. We proceeded on this errand and lay about for several days – finally we discovered an intention in the Brittish to quit the Island – this we reported to Marion as quick as possible who ordered us to rel?? again as quick as we could and be more certain of the enemy’s movements. When we got back, they had quit the Island and gone over into Charleston, but had kept a number of horse, on a neck of land. A part of these horses we succeeded in bringing off to the number of 40. A man named Sterling who lived in the Island gave us information of these horses. We returned with our spoils to Marion who now lay on Goose Creek in St John’s Parish. My recollection is that the Brittish left James Island in July or August. On our return to Marion Capt Youngblood became a little in?? and Lt Youngblood was ordered by Marion to select 8 men out of his company and proceed towards Bacon’s bridge and Dorchester bridge to make discoveries and gain such information as he was able as to the movements of the enemy in that direction as they still kept some posts there. Accordingly the Lt selected his men (myself being one) and as the danger was great it was thought most safe to disguise ourselves, which we did, and proceeded towards Charleston. We passed Bacon’s bridge and Dorchester by pretending to give information to the guards. After passing these two places so easily we formed the bold and foolish design to go into the city, and do some bold fete and make our escape. After proceeding some distance we met 3 draggoons whom we accused of being deserters from the Brittish and we tied them in the woods fast to saplings in the woods and proceeded on our way until within about 3 miles of the town where we met a lady in a carriage, from whom we searned sufficient to deter us from proceeding from there. We turned and made our way back and was pursued but made our escape by entering a??? near Bacon Bridge. The lady alluded to was named Toms, whom I have often seen since. She lived then in the city. On our return Marion reprimanded us for this act of temerity and I confessed very justly. What became of the three dragoons tied by us I know not nor how long they remained tied. Captain Youngblood was now recovered so far as to take the command of his company and he was ordered to a? take a circuit by monk corner and around by the Round O and Horse shoe to see if any tories were in that quarter. We took the m?? as prescribed but found no enemy. However in a day or two after returning to camp intelligence reached us that a party of Tories under one Sanders was on the Horse Shoe plundering the inhabitants. We were ordered to instantly pursue this party, which we did across Soutee around thehead of Black River and on Lynch’s Creek we came up with them at a house where they were cooking. Orders were given to charge although through a wide plantation as there was no way to approach nearer without being discovered. We got within about 200 yards of them before they discovered us. They had just time to mount and fire (at about 150 yards) before we were upon them. Nine fell on the ground. The rest fled into the woods and scattered so we could pursue them but a short distance. The plunder they had taken was recovered and restored to the owners, consisting of horses, clothing. This was in the month of August 1782 and was the last considerable circumstance of my service. On our return to Marion near to Dorchester whether he had moved from Goose Creek in the mean time and where he remained a short time and then moved to Ashley ferry on Ashley river ten miles from Charleston and remained there and near there until the Brittish evacuated Charleston in December following. His plantation lay on Goose creek, which he visited a few times. From the time of our last expedition in pursuit of Sanders our company of light horse was dispatched to various sections to keep the tories down and protect the inhabitants. At the time of the evacuation of Charleston Capt Youngblood’s company was on Lynch’s Creek for there we heard the intelligence and whether we had goine in search of Tories. From this place we retnred towards Charleston, but hearing as the way of a party of Tories under McGirt near to Georgetown we went in pursuit of them but on our arrival they had left some days before and we therefore stopped the pursuit. From Georgetown we returned a part of the way to the Horseshoe, and word was brought us that a party of Tories had been in the head waters of Black Rivera and killed a man named Womack and wounded one Reardon and had done much damage. We turned immediately against this party and pursued them several days to the upper parts of North Carolina to a place called the White Marsh but we could not overtake them. In this expedition we recovered three negroes belonging to one Dunn, taken some time previous by the tories which were testored to the owner who was also a tory as we afterwards learned. This was in the latter part of March 1783. On our return to the Horse Shoe we learned that the soldier of the American army were discharged and there Captain Youngblood also discharged us, which was in the month of April 1783. During the time of my service our armory was kept at Jacksonboro, and there we got our swords, pistols (etc). This is a history of my service as faithfully as my memory will serve me to give it. From the time I entered the service in February 1781 to April 1783 I was never one day out of it. My father had been killed – my mother having been some years dead, having no brothers or sisters, nor any near kindred, except a traitor uncle,and two & they who were strangers to me, I had little to induce me to quit the service; for in the service I found friends – out of it I know of none. After the War I traded a while in the upper part of the state and then returned to where I was raised ours? done? Himself on a farm for several years, and married and moved to Kentucky where I have lived about 23 years.
I received a written discharge from Capt Youngblood but it has long ago been lost. I declare I have no documentary evidence in my possession which would prove my service, nor do I know of any person now living by whom I could prove it. I served with many whose names I can mention, but whether any of them are living I do notknow, for I have not heard from any of them since I left that country. James Canyon, Charles Hardin, Wm Hardin, Saml Slee, Wm Slee, Lewis Box and Robert Sallet belonged to my company and could prove my service if living. The last one of these I even saw was Canyon wh lived on the Horseshoe who I saw in Charleston about four years before I left that country. I have no means of ascertaining whether any of them are now living. My captains and Lieutenant both died before I left that country. ….

Answers to questions:
Born on St Johns Island about twenty miles from Charleston on the 19th day of September 1764
Has family bible which shows his birth.

Declaration of Elizabeth Freer aged 85 a resident of Lyon County Kentucky who has never received a land warrant made before Henry Mayer Justice of the Peace in and for Lyon County Kentucky…. She’s the widow of Solomon Freer deceased who was a Dragoon in Capt Lambert’s company of Dragoons… 6 July 1837

Marcus M Tyler aged 40 years a resident of Lyon County and Charles W Freer aged 28 a resident of Lyon County certified the signature of Elizabeth Freer.

Solomon died in Caldwell County Kentucky 8 years ago. Signed 25 July 1855

Solomon died in July 1846. Had a large family of children.
Married 1785

Michael W Freeman made a statement that he became acquainted with Elizabeth Freer in 1807. and that they were then moving from South Carolina.

James Freer presented the family bible of his father Solomon Freer. James is now 52 years old.

160 acres

No comments: