Monday, March 3, 2008

A Civil War Era Voice

Letter from Noah H Cummins to his son W. H. W. Cummins, who was being held prisoner during the Civil War (his son Finis was also a prisoner during the war). Noah Cummins is my maternal great great grandfather.:

January the 14 A.d. 1863
My Dear son W.H.W. Cummins
I embrace the opportunity of sending you a few lines in answer to your affectionate letter which came to hand on the 13 of January/'63. We are all well at this time people generally well in the neighborhood. I went to Smithland KY to see you but arrived a few minutes too late to see you. I heard the steamboat bell tolling as I went in that you went off on. I carried documents that I think would have released you with me had I been a few hours sooner. I sent you some money by Mr. Pierce. I suppose you got it. I then returned home and went to Henderson and took papers there assigned by the most prominent union men of the county for your release though I arrived again too late. The document or petition was sent on to Louisville Ky as I learned that you would probably remain there until the 25 of January. I will say to the other boys of our neighborhood their friends have not been idle in trying to get them released. I will send you some money by the bearer of this letter Mr Young or John Boid. I wish you to write to me and let me know where to direct my letters to when I write to you. Your mother thinks long of the time for you to return home.
I remain your affectionate father and friend and will until death.
To William H W Cummins
N H Cummins

No comments: