Tuesday, April 8, 2008

John Hamilton of Caldwell County Kentucky

John Hamilton of Caldwell County Kentucky

Revolutionary War Pension Record
John Hamilton, VA, S1209

John Hamilton of Caldwell County in the State of Kentucky
Was a pr[ivate] in the co[mpany] commanded
By Captain Anderson of the regt commanded
By Col Campbell in the VA
Line for 6 months & 13 ds

Inscribed on the Roll of Kent[ucky]
At the rate of 21 dollars 66 cents per annum
To commence on the 4th day of March, 1834

Certificate of Pension issued the 2 day of Apr 1833 and Thomas Haynes Princeton

Arrears to the 4th of March 1832 43.43
Semi-anl. Allowance ending 4 Sept 10.83
$ 34.13
Revolutionary Claim
Act June 7, 1832
?? by Dan Boyd Cle[rk]
?? E Vol 7 Page 13

State of Kentucky, Caldwell County
On the 12th day of June 1833 personally appeared before Lemuel M Asher one of the justices of the county court in and for said county, John Hamilton, resident of said county, aged seventy eight years, who being first duly sworn according to law doth on his oath make the following disclaration in order to obtain the benefit of the Act of Congress passed june 7th 1832. That he entered the service of the United States under the following named officers and served as herein stated: In the County of Augusta in the year 1775 I first entered as a private under Capt Christie and in the regiment commanded by Col Wm Christie (who lived on New River). This expedition was ordered against the Cherokee Indians on the frontier – the troops rendezvoused at one Wm Steele’s at the uper [sic] end of the county, and we proceeded from thence to the Long Islands of Holstein, where we first joined our regiment. From this place we marched into the Indian nation and destroyed several of their towns, Big Island town, Old Stoker town (or such a name) and Kill Hovie(?) or Little deer town and several others. After doing this and overrunning their country and destroying what we could find (for the Indian themselves fled) they sued for peace and proposed to treat; but no treaty was then held as the head man and chiefs could not be brought in, except one of them Black head partridge. The Treaty was consequently not held for the present. Afte rthis we returned, having served three months, the time for which we entered, and were discharged at the Long Island fort. In the year 1776 as well as I now remember the militia of Virginia were divided into classes or divisions which were required to serve in turn. I was placed in the first class, but in consequence of having performed a three months tour the winter before as before mentioned I was not required for some time to enter the service, nor do I remember that any were called for a considerable time afterwards. At any rate I was not called out again till the year 1780 when an expedition was ordered against the same Indians. I entered this service as a volunteer private under Col. Arthur Campbell and Capt John Anderson. Holstein River where we met the Regt of Colonel Sevier also ordered on this service. Sevier’s regiment preceded us a short time and reached the Indian Country before us; and just beyond French Broad had a skirmish with the Indians in which seven of them were killed on the ground. Sevier fell back half a mile and remained until we came up, which we did directly afterwards. Both Regiments were now suffering for want of provisions and particularly that of Sevier’s. After dividing equally what we had our Regiment marched to the Indian towns on the Tennessee river and destroyed several of them. Some of the same which had been previously destroyed but rebuilt by them, and another called Tellico town. But few Indians were killed in this expedition – I remember but three and 7 prisoners. After destroying these towns Major Gilbert Christie was left to guard the prisoners, the sick, ??aggage?? and the balance of the army marched to the ??eghwasii?? which we destroyed and from this place returned sometime in February 1787 after performing a tour of three months. Again in the early part of 1782 I volunteered as a private and joined a company of Rangers under Captain Robert King but after giving only two weeks only in this company I was disabled from further service by having a cane run through my foot and consequently had to quit the company. After recovering from this wound and in the same year I volunteered under the same Col. Christie against the same Indians but after rendezvousing at the mouth of the same Big Creek we received orders to return. These two last services are not worth taking into the account nor do I mention them for that purpose – they may be thrown aside. I declare that I have no documentary evidence in my possession which would prove my service, having lost my discharges long ago. The only relict of the Revolution which I have is a certificate of my having taken the oath of fidelity to my country which I send alone with this declaration. Nor do I know of any person living by whom I can prove my service. I hereby relinquish every claim whatever to a pension or annuity except the present and declare that my name is not on the pension roll of the Agency of any state or territory whatever.
And the said justice propounded(?) to the said applicant the following interrogatories as prescribed by the War Department, to which he made the ?? answers:

I was born in Augusta County state of Virginia on the 27th day of April 1755
On having a record of his birth..: I have – it is the record of my father transcribed into a Bible here in my house.
While in service I lived in Augusta County Virginia. Since the War I have lived a part of the time in Holstein in N. Carolina and a part of the time in Pendleton District, South Carolina until 1810 when I moved to this county where I have lived ever since.
I entered the service as a volunteer.
I served with no regular troops, nor with any militia regiments except my own and that under Colonel Sevier. I was personally acquainted with James B Lee a regular ?? officer, but he did not serve with my troops .
I received written discharges from the service – the first was given by Colonel Christie and the second by Captain Anderson. Both of which are lost.
I am known to a good many Alexander Maxwell, Rev. Jno W Mansfield, Wm Armstrong, B G Rice Esq and many others.
Sworn and subscribed the day and year aforesaid. [signed] John Hamilton

[Affidavit by John Barnett, a clergyman, Alexander Maxwell, Thomas J Brasher …]

[The oath, mentioned in the narrative, was included. Signed by Elijah M Christian in August 1777]

[A power of attorney: William Hamilton appoints L. Blanchard True of Washington City, D.C. as his POA to examine all papers of John Hamilton. “John Hamilton departed this life in the year 1841 leaving no widow.”]

[In a letter from 1911 requesting information the commissioner states that “In 1851, William Hamilton of Adair County Kentucky, stated that he was the heir-at-law (relationship not stated) of said John Hamilton who died in 1841…”]

Princeton Ky 24 June 1833
Sir: Again I send you the claim of John Hamilton of this county. From the “Brief” returned with this claim I find but one objection: it was not stated in what capacity or grade he served. This is now remedied and ‘tis hoped all is right. Owing to his continued inability he could not be brought into court, and his case was again prepared in the country.
I confess myself much obliged to you for your promptitude in attending cases heretofore transmitted. The only remaining cases are those who claim as officers. These are not prepared, as the evidence in support of them is scattered all over the U.S. The most of them however can be satisfactorily proved. I am not informed what proof will be required – if ‘tis not improper I would be glad to know the nature and intent of proof necessary to establish them to the satisfaction of the Dep. This perhaps is a special favor to which I am not entitled – but I would be thankful for it.
Respr yr obt servant ..Haynes

No comments: