Saturday, April 19, 2008

Elijah Veach of Caldwell County Kentucky

Elijah Veach of Caldwell County Kentucky

Revolutionary War Pension File

VA Veach, Elijah S37.498

Kentucky Roll (No 1291)
Elijah Veach
Col Crawford Private
Virginia Line 1777 3 years
In the army of the United States during the Revolutionary War
Inscribed on the Roll of Kentucky
At the rate of 8 Dollars per month to commence on
The 25th of May 1818
Certificate of Pension issued the 30 of June 1818
And sent to Matthew Lyon Esq
Eddyville, Caldwell Co Ky
Arrears to 4th of Sept 1818
3 months 7/37 $26.86
4/30
Revolutionary claim
Act 18th March 1818

State of Kentucky Caldwell County towit
In the Record of proceedings in the County Court of said County among others are the following
Be it remembered that At a County Court begun and held for Caldwell County at the Courthouse in the town of Princeton on Monday the 24th day of July 1820 the following proceedings were had towit: A motion of Elijah Veach he produced in court his affidavit which being sworn to by him was ordered to be recorded and certified according to law which affidavit read as follows towit:
State of Kentucky Caldwell county on this 24th day of July 1820 personally appeared in open court being a Court of Record for said County Elijah Veach age Sixty five years resident in Caldwell County Ky who being duly sworn according to law doth on his oath declare that he served in the Revolutionary War as follows: In the 1st Regiment of Virginia Continental Troops that he applied for a pension on the 25th day of May 1818 and that he has received a pension Certificate No 1291. And I do solemnly swear that I was a resident citizen of the United States on the 18th day of March 1818 and that I have not since that time by gift sale or in any manor disposed of my property or any part thereof with intent thereby so to diminish it as to bring myself within the provisions of an act of Congress entitled “?? Act to provide for certain persons engaged in the land and naval service of the United States in the Revolutionary war” passed on the 18th day of March 1818 and that I have not ?? any person in ?? for me any property or security contracts or debts due to me nor have I any income other than what is contained in the schedule hereto annexed and by me subscribed, which is one horse worth 25 dollars, one cow worth 15 dollars one plough and other farming utensils 12 dollars household furniture worth about 12 dollars. My family consists of a wife 55 years and one daughter 35 years old who is helpless from natural deformity, one weakly son 16 years old and an orphan grandchild two years and 3 months old all of whom are helpless and very little able to assist me by labor. My occupation is that of a farmer at which I am very little able to labour, from my age and bodily infirmity.
Elijah (X his mark) Veach

In Caldwell County Ky Court on 22 May 1818 Elijah Veach appeared
He said he enlisted in January 1777 with Lieutenant Springer in Col Crawford’s Reg’t of continental Troops in the Virginia line in Morgantown Virginia for three years. That he served three years on that frontier when he was discharged, the proof of which discharge he got recorded in Green county Tennessee but has lost the discharge. That he afterwards enlisted and served ten months under Gen’l Sumpter and was in the battle of Eatan Springs Orageburg and Dorhester that he was then discharged but has no copy of it and he further swears that from his reduced circumstances he needs the assistance of his country for support which is ordered to be certified.

Know all men by these presents that I, C D Veach of the County of Mercer and State of Kentucky have constituted and appointed and by these presents hereby constitute and appoint Frances A Dicken of Washington City District of Columbia my true and lawful attorney in fact for me and in my name to demand and receive from the proper officer in the City of Washington a copy of the Declaration and Testimony of Elijah Veach deceased late a pensioner on the Roll of the Kentucky agency. I being one of the heirs at law of the aforesaid Elijah Veach and desiring the said paper to have them filed with the executive department in the State of Virginia for the purpose of obtaining a land warrant from said State for the services rendered by said Veach in the Revolutionary War, to do and perform all acts in the ?? which my said attorney may deem proper or necessary. Hereby notifying and confirming whatever my said attorney may do for me in the ??
In testimony where of I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 11th day of April 1843
E D Veatch

[In a letter to Charles H Veach of Kalida Ohio in response to his request for information, the letter gave the information I’ve already given above and the following:
In 1833 reference was made to Mr Elijah Veatch of Tompkinsville, Kentucky.]

12 Aug 1833 Elijah Veach in Tompkinsville, Ky

Will you be so good as soon after the reception of this as convenient as to write to W Elijah Veatch at Tompkinsville who the person is who was appointed the successor of Col Richard ? Anderson dec’d as surveyor of the lands set apart for Virginia soldiers he being one please to transmit in the same communication any form and directions necessary for him in the consummation of his title to land deserved from his revolutionary services in that may(?) taking great pleasure in writing and acting as far as I can for these old patriots with out ?? or reward, I am sure that you’ll pardon the trouble I give you even if the business did not come strictly within the sphere of your office.
I am ?? very respectfully your most obed sev’t
Joel Yancey

No comments: