Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Zachariah Worley - Transcript of Revolutionary War Pension Application

The National Archives
NARA M804
Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files

Pg 207

State of Tennessee Smith County On this 25? day of September 1832 personally appeared before the County Court of Smith County now sitting Zachariah Worley a resident of Smith and State of Tennessee aged 70 years last June who being first duly sworn according to law, doth on his oath make the following declaration in order to obtain the benefit of the provision made by the act of congress passed June 9th 1832 That he enlisted in the army of the United [sic] in the year 1779 in February with Sergant [sic] Ellison dont recollect what regiment was under Col Buford of the Virginia line under the following named officer. That he enlisted in the service of the United States in February 1779 in Powaton County State of Virginia from there he marched to the edge of Pennsylvania there met by Col. Porter? and sent back to the South reached Petersburg Va in July. There he was taken sick

Pg 223

and placed in the Hospital and remained sick until it was to late for the season to march. He was under Capt Wallace while at Petersburg and also Col Buford. In the year 1780 in the month of February one hundred and forty of the soldiers with myself under Capt Howard was marched in to South Carolina near Munk Corner there met by Col Washington then we dodged about as we could until Col Buford came up with the ballance of the regiment then I was placed under my old Capt Wallace we were then marched from this place down to Santu Run SC and there we remained until the troops at Charleston was taken prisoner from Santu Run the Company that I was in retreated to the place called the Hanging Rock South Carolina we had a battle where we were attacked by Col Talton and his soldiers and we were there defeated had orders if defeated to mitt [sic] at Hilsboroug N Carolina and out of about 500 there was only

Pg 236

104 got there. I then was marched from Hilsboroug to Richmond Va and there I was taken to a Country Store until my time was out making the time I served as a regular one year and Eight months in the United States Army. I recd a discharge but have not got it now. My name is to be found on the Roll of the Virginia troops in the wares? office as I have seen men that told me they saw it after I was discharged I then came to my Farthers house in Bedford County Va where he had moved to while I was in Servise. Then afterwards in the month of February 1781 in Bedford County Va there was a call for men to join Gen Green for six weeks. I then volinteered under Capt Gwalkin Maj John Callaway and Col Charles Lynch all of whom I was acquainted with. I was marched to Gen Greens army at Gilford Court House and there I was in the Battle of Gilford. I have no documentary evidence know of no person whos testimony ?? he? can f?? to prove his servis.

Pg 243

He hereby relinquishes(?) any claim whatever to a pension or any bounty except the present and he declares that his name is not on the pension roll of any agency in any state.Sworn to and subscribed this day and year aforesaid.

[signed] J Pickett clk [signed] Zachariah Worley

And the said Court do hereby declare their opinion that the above named applicant was a revolutionary soldier and served as he states.

I Jonathan Pickett Clerk of said Court do hereby certify that the foregoing contains the original proceedings of the said Court in the matter of the application of Zachariah Worley for a pension. In Testimony where of I have herewith set my hand and seal of office this 4th day of September 1832 and 57th year after Independence.
[signed] J Pickett clk?

No comments: