Friday, February 15, 2008

Talking Tooooooo Much

You can probably tell that I enjoy talking... and talking..... about my favorite subject - genealogy. I presented a workshop last night on "Getting Started in Genealogy". It was held at the Germantown Regional History and Genealogy Center (GRHGC) [in Germantown Tennessee]. It's a small library, but we had an overflowing crowd in attendance. The attendees had LOTS of questions and showed lots of interest. I knew I'd put a LOT of information into my presentation, and I knew I might glaze a few eyes toward the last 1/3 of the presentation, but I thought I'd stayed within my time frame of two hours. WRONG. I had to quickly click and click and click through the last 1/3 of the slides AFTER the 2 hours was up. Sigh. Guess I'll go in and cut out quite a bit or make it into more than one presentation. There's just so much I want beginning genealogists to know. I guess I'll have to give it in smaller doses. I asked for suggestions as to other workshops they'd like, and some of the suggestions were: 1) organizing all the information you collect, 2) using ancestry.com, 3) hands on internet searching, 4) site visits to local repositories/archives, 5) how to use the GRHGC. Some of those workshops are already planned, and the others are great ideas. What a great genealogical community.

No comments: