Wednesday, January 31, 2018

#52ancestors - Who would I have liked to invite to dinner

This is the next installment of the #52ancestors challenge.  I'm supposed to decide which of my ancestors I would have loved to have had to dinner.  Since I'm a "gimme data" type of person, it would have been to grill the ancestor who could answer my most pressing brick wall questions, but there are others that I would have loved to invite to just listen to their life's story.

So many things I'd want to know.  So little time at a dinner.

I would have loved to talk with Willard C Town.  He was my first ancestor to move to Kentucky.  He arrived before 1840.  In 1830, in Ohio, his dad, Willard Oliver Town, left home and "headed west", never to be heard from again.  I would like to know about that.  What was his dad's reason for heading west?  Many questions.  I knew nothing about Willard C Town until I started researching my family in 1977.  He was my Second Great Grandfather.  HIS fourth great grandfather was the brother of two women hanged for being witches in Salem MA.  Did Willard C know this?  Were they better at handing down family info than our current generations?  My Willard C was born in Vermont, but moved with his parents and siblings to Ohio before he moved to Kentucky.  The family of witches was in MA and then in VT.  Maybe he knew.  The fifth great grandfather of Willard C Town was our immigrant ancestor from England.  I would love to know what Willard C knew.  I'd love to know what his trip was like from Vermont to Ohio.  Why did he move to Kentucky?  He married in 1840, not long after his arrival.  He did in 1847.  He was about 43 years old.  I don't know how or why he died.  He left a wife and two very small sons.  I want to know everything and I know so little.

I would also have liked to talk with David Bigham, whose father was born in Ireland.  What did he know about the trip by ship to North/South Carolina from Ireland.....

I would love to hear about the life of Beulah Chittenden, my fourth great grandmother.  She was the daughter of  Thomas Chittenden, who was the first governor of Vermont.  She married Elijah Galusha, who died at the age of 23, in a sawmill accident.  He had served in the Revolutionary War.  She then married Mathew Lyon, who became a representative from Kentucky and the first person in this country to ever be charged with sedition.  They moved to Eddyville Kentucky, from Vermont. What was her life like?

I would love another chance to sit down with my own grandparents and ask them the questions I never asked as a child and very young woman. 

Other questions:  A second great grandmother had 15 children, losing the first four as very young children or infants.  What was her life like?

Can't wait for that time machine to be invented.

No comments: