Tuesday, January 9, 2018

#52ancestors - Favorite Photo

This is week two of the #52ancestors challenge and we're supposed to post our favorite picture.  I've just been loaned two scrapbooks from my mother-in-law, who will be 91 this month.  In the scrapbooks are pictures from the 1940's World War II era.  She obviously visited many clubs in Texas that look to be USO type clubs where she would talk with and dance with sailors.  MANY sailors.  I'm in the process of removing them from the black paper type scrapbooks and attempting to scrape off the remaining paper that is attached to a LOT of glue on the backs of the pictures.  It's going to be a LONG process and it looks like there are very few names on the backs of the pictures.  The glue and black paper have done their bad deed of helping to seep through the pictures, so I'm restoring the pictures (through software) also.  I'll post some of those when I get further along in my processing of the pictures.

I'm posting my favorite photo of MY side of the family today.  I've probably posted it before, but it's still my favorite.  This is a picture of my grandmother, Mary Evelyn Cummins (Gray), on the porch of their farm house, with some of her sisters.  This picture was taken in May 1907 in Lyon County Kentucky.  My grandmother was born in 1888, so would have been 19 years old.

Pictured, from L to R are:  Nina C Cummins 1893-1911, Fannie G Cummins 1876-1948, Iva Cummins, 1880-1957, Willie Moses Cummins 1886-1963, Mary Evelyn Cummins (Gray) 1888-1981, Rebecca Cummins (Gresham).

Not pictured are oldest child John Wesley "Pat" Cummins 1874-1959,  and Nonia Cummins (Oliver) 1883-1963.

The parents of these children were Michael Harvey Cummins 1845-1918 and Sarah Ann Warfield 1855-1893.  My grandmother was only five when her mother died and I've been told that her sister Fannie took over the responsibility of the household and the younger children.  Of all these children, only John Wesley, Nonia and Mary Evelyn had children who survived them.

I've also been told that Iva, Fannie and Willie ran a boarding house in Eddyville.




No comments: