Tuesday, January 16, 2018

#52ancestors - Longevity

My mother-in-law will be 91 this weekend.  I've spent the last couple of weeks scanning in her scrapbook photos from the 1940's.  She was in a group called Navy Sisters, which was a group of women with brothers in the Navy.  They met at the USO once a month.  She visited the USO many more times than once a month, however.  She met and danced with many sailors during that time.  From the pictures, it looks like a good time was had by all.  One of the sailors asked her to marry him but she turned him down because he would be shipping out and she planned to be seeing other guys.  I think he wrote to her once many, many years later, but all she'd tell me was that she "threw the letter away".  She, and he, went on to marry someone else.  There are quite a few pictures of him in the ones I've been scanning.  Her name is Velda Littlepage.  His name is Ray Schmorance (or Schmorans - she wasn't sure at this point), in case any of his descendants find this post and would like copies of the pictures I've scanned.  She didn't remember the names of the other people in the picture.  Velda and Ray are the first couple, in the front, on the left side of this picture.  I think age 91 qualifies as longevity!


No comments: