Wednesday, July 23, 2008

What's on YOUR iGoogle Pages?

If you haven't used iGoogle yet, you're missing out on a lot. Heres how my iGoogle pages are set up.

I have three tabs on my iGoogle pages. The tabs are labeled: HOME; GENEALOGY RSS FEEDS; and the final one is TECH FEEDS.

The things that are on the HOME page are:
1. Weather for three cities: St Louis MO, Collierville TN and Knoxville TN [places where we and my children live]
2. My GOOGLE Email Inbox and the following RSS FEEDS:
3. NPR Programs: All Things Considered
4. BBC News Player/World
5. CNN.COM
6. Washington Post.com/politics
7. Memphis Commercial Appeal Stories/News
8. Memphis Commercial Appeal Stores/Greater Memphis
9. Quotes of the Day

On my second tab, GENEALOGY, I have the following RSS Feeds:
1. Renee's Genealogy Blog
2. BackTrack
3. Genealogy Blog
4. The Genealogue
5. Genealogy Help
6. RootsMagic Blog
7. Western Kentucky Genealogy Blog
8. Dear Myrtle's Genealogy Blog
9. Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter
10. Genea-Musings

and to comfort my inner geek, on my third tab, TECH FEEDS are:
1. Mahalo Blog
2. Extreme Tech
3. SlashDot
4. TechCrunch
5. Techdirt
6. Wired Top Stories
7. Engadget
8. Reviews Tom's Hardware U.S.
9. PC Magazine Tips and Solutions

I also had Google "alerting" me to stories on the web containing certain key words, like Genealogy AND Kentucky, but since I started back to work, I've had to cut back on some of my extra reading. I've cancelled the alerts, and just stick to my RSS Feeds on my iGoogle pages and a few of my favorite podcasts (The Genealogy Guys, Dear Myrtle, Genealogy Gems, and GeekBrief.

This page might help you learn about iGoogle if it's new to you:
http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=20324&topic=9002

Here's info on Google Alerts:
http://www.google.com/alerts

I'm off to a Parrent family reunion this weekend in Eddyville Kentucky. I'm looking forward to it.

Have fun...

1 comment:

Cali Lewis said...

Thanks for keeping Geek Brief around! :)